Pot Bellied Pigs Charitable Activities
The memory of Bali has lead the Pigs to add a charity focus to our activities and have since held a number of fund raising events to help the communities across Asia.
The pinnacle of our potted history is holding our very own “Fat Boys 10’s” tournaments in Angeles City, Philippines August 2004, 2005 and 2006.
We have hosted from 12 to 16 teams from around the region, including:
- Hong Kong teams such as the Hong Kong Football Club Lu' Vandals and the Old Bill (Police Football Club).
- Teams from the Philippines itself, such as the Manila Nomads, the Alabang Eagles, The Warrriors, the Philippines Airforce and in 2006, the Cebu Dragons.
- Teams from Beijing, Thailand, Singapore and Korea
- Together with players from a very wide geographic spread.
These have been charity events with the two nominated charities being the Bahay Bata Orphanage, a Rotary project for street kids in Angeles and the Philippines Rugby Football Union Development Fund. Through a combination of sponsorship, advertising and donations we were able to donate HK$ 85,000 in 200, HK$150,000 in 2005 and in excess of HK$200,000 in 2006 to these worthy causes.
Following the Tsunami at Christmas 2005 we held several fundraising events.
- We organized a charity game in February, 05 versus an invitational team from the various Hong Kong rugby clubs.
- We held a “Pigs on the Piste” charity pub-crawl in Wanchai.
- Lastly we held a charity auction at the KPMG “Brian Moore” dinner in the lead-up to the World Cup Sevens in March 05.
The first two events raised approximately HK$ 75,000 each, and the auction another HK$ 120,000 towards the Hong Kong Rugby Union Tsunami fund.